Bourbon Mash Bill Explained - Digital
As Bourbonr’s continue their thirst for more information, details like mash bills, barrel char and barrel entry proof, and their affect on taste, gain more attention. Let’s begin with a bourbon’s mash bill. We already know that legal requirements mandate 51% corn for bourbon but what about the other 49%.
A mash bill is the mix of grains used to make bourbon. Theses grains are cooked and fermented to begin the bourbon making process. There are typically three grains in every bourbon mash bill: Corn, Rye or Wheat, and Malted Barley. Each grain percentage will vary based on distillery but generally, distilleries use three types of mash bills, Low Rye 8%-14%, High Rye 15%-35% and Wheated 18%-20% (Bonus: Rye mashbill 51%+). You can review the Distillery Summary to see which mash bills are used by the major distilleries.